The school holidays are here again (we swear the terms seem to be getting shorter). To keep the little ones entertained, we've got a few ideas of things to do during the school holidays:
- Go on a playground crawl – the kids will love this tell them to pick their favourite playgrounds and spend a day or morning visiting them all. There are some great urban locations as well such as Silo Park in Auckland or Margaret Mahy playground in Christchurch, which have fabulous playgrounds for the kids and cafés nearby for a coffee for you! We also have carparks nearby making it easy to get as close as possible to the playgrounds.
- Get out and about cycling – the school holidays are a great time to explore with bikes and don't just think local, if you have a bike rack it's a great opportunity to load the bikes and explore a new area or park. We'd recommend cycling along Oriental Bay in Wellington or the Pink Cycle Path starting on Upper Queen Street in Auckland CBD.
- Hit a night market - with the school holidays and the kids perhaps allowed to stay up a little bit later, hit a night market for dinner, there are amazing dishes from around the world!
- Check out your local Museums, libraries and art galleries for school holiday events, many will host school holidays events for kids.
- Have a clear out at home - the school holidays are a great time to have a sort out of clothes and toys no longer needed and donating them to your local op shop. Did you know you can donate books to Variety for their Online Book Fair.
- Go on a treasure Hunt – create a cool treasure hunt for the kids, this could be based around home or kept local around your street E.g. find a green car, a house with a red door, a cat in a window etc.. Or you could make it larger scale and do an Urban treasure hunt, for example if you're in Christchurch you could go on a street art treasure hunt. (Handy hint our Manchester Street carpark has an amazing pink mural the kids will love).
- Go on a day trip and explore an area you haven't been to before – wrap up warm, take a picnic and explore a new area or suburb.
- Get crafty - many local libraries or groups have cool craft events for the kids over the holidays check out The Creators or visit your local Mitre 10 for their Easy As for Kids workshops.
- For a rainy day check out the local cinema or make a cinema at home by creating a fort with lots of snacks!
- Visit the botanical gardens – even during the winter local botanical gardens have amazing displays and Winter gardens.
We hope you find these ideas useful. If you are heading out and about don't forget at Wilson Parking, we have carparks across the country to get you closer to where you need to go! Best of all if you add the below promo codes in your ParkMate App, you'll get 20% off casual rates between 10am and 4pm, Mon-Fri during the school holidays, click here for more information.
- Auckland enter promo code - SCHHOLAKL
- Wellington enter promo code - SCHHOLWLG
- Christchurch enter promo code - SCHHOLCHC