Our top picks for days out during the school holidays
The school holidays are here and we’re hoping for sunnier and warmer days. If you’re looking for ideas and events for a fun day out in Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch, here are our top picks for the school holidays all with parking close by.
Here are 5 things happening in Auckland these school holidays:
- Story time at Maritime Museum- one for little ones every Friday at 10:30 the Maritime Museum hosts story time perfect for little ones up to the age of 6. The stories are all based around the sea with interactive songs and dance. We’d recommend arriving early and getting a coffee and treat from the café, with free fluffies for little ones with any coffee purchased.
- Be a princess for the day and head to Disney Princess – The Concert on at Kiri Te Kanawa Theatre, Aotea Centre. The event takes place on the 26th September at 7pm and will be a magical mix of theatre effects and amination to bring your favourite Disney stars and songs come to life!
- Head up the Sky Tower and boogie with Trolls - Sky Tower is having a Disco Zone during the September school holidays with facepainting for kids between 10:30am-2:30pm daily. There is also a colouring in competition and Trolls activity pads for little ones to complete.
- Treasure Hunters Holiday Programme – most libraries across Auckland are hosting holiday programmes for kids. Our pick would be Takapuna, here the library has events all through the holidays with activities ranging from crafts, reading, movies, magic and even a pantomime. Best of all the library is right next to the beach so if the kids still have energy to burn, you can take them for a long beach walk!
- For a dinner out option out with the kids head to Food Truck Feast@Takutai Square. This is to kick off their season of Food Truck Wednesday and offers a great relaxed dinner out for the kids after an afternoon exploring the city. The event kicks off on Thursday the 28th September from 5pm (we thought the same not a Wednesday) and will see a range of delicious dinner options including Vege Bang Bang, Brooklyn Dogs, Double Dutch Fries, Gully Grub, Kookie Haus and Sweet As Crepes. There will also be live music and a beanbag and chill out area in the sun.
There is lots on in Wellington for the school holidays. Here are our top picks:
- Jurassic World by Brickman – LEGO and dinosaurs what more do you need for a great day out with the kids. Head to the Wellington Convention Centre to see large scale dinosaurs and scenes from the famous dinosaur blockbusters all made from over 6 million LEGO bricks! Kids can also get creative by building their own dinosaurs from over 2.5 million LEGO bricks! The exhibit is on until the 16th October, for more information or to get tickets click here.
- The Barbie Collective – with Barbie mania taking over everywhere this year why not head to the Barbie Collective on at Wellington Museum. This private collection features more than 50 Barbies and Kens taking you on a walk through the eras of all thing Barbie. The exhibit is on until the 6th For more information click here.
- Cat in The Hat Live on stage – Perfect timing for the school holidays, take the kids to a live performance of Cat In The Hat for hours of laughter and entertainment. The show is on St James Theatre on the 7th For tickets and more information click here.
- Bowlarama and Bumperarama – for something fun and to burn lots of energy take the kids ten pin bowling and bumper car racing at Bowlarama in Newtown.
- Visit Space Place to learn about planets, constellations, and galaxies far far away. This fun and educational museum has activities to keep kids entertained for hours with telescope viewings, hands on exhibits, interactive galleries and a planetarium show to watch the stars!
Best carpark: Skyline
Enjoy a fun and educational day out with the kids. Here are our ideas for a day in the city to entertain little ones:
- Head to The Margaret Mahy Playground - here the kids will be entertained for hours with water play, the flying fox, slides and the spider web! There’s even coffee options close by for parents.
- Six Extinctions – head to Canterbury Museum for a free dinosaur exhibition. Here you can see a 13 metre T-Rex and a Dunkleosteus, a giant armoured fish! You can then explore the 5 other mass extinction periods in earth.
- School Holidays at the Art Centre. The Arts Centre has lots of fun school holidays activities for little ones including circus workshops, painting activities, fudge making, crafts and many more. For a full list of the activities and events click
- Cat in The Hat Live on stage – Perfect timing for the school holidays, take the kids to a live performance of Cat In The Hat for hours of laughter and entertainment. The show is on at The Isaac Theatre on the 3rd For tickets and more information click here.
- Kiri and Lou at the Library- see how the Claymation TV series is made, enjoy kids interactive activities and see the Kiri and Lou exhibition all at Tūranga Linrary is central Christchurch.
If you are heading out and about over the school holidays don’t forget our friends at ParkMate have a fabulous casual parking offer to enjoy 20% off during the school holidays between 10am – 4pm, Monday-Friday. Just enter the promo code SCHOOL into your ParkMate app.
T&c’S apply - School Holidays (parkmate.co.nz)